What is acne?
Acne is a skin condition where your hair follicles become plugged with oil and redundant skin cells, this event causes whiteheads, blackheads or pimples. It is commonly seen during the teenage years however it can affect all ages.
Acne can be emotionally distressing and leave scars on the skin, depending on its severity. The earlier you start treatment, the lower your risk of such problems.
Factors that cause acne
Four main factors that can cause acne
- Excess oil (sebum) production
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and redundant skin cells
Causal factors that may trigger or worsen acne
- Gut Health
- Medications containing corticosteroids, testosterone or lithium.
Sunshine at the end of the tunnel, here is the SS approach to acne.
The SS team look at key areas to influence change, that includes what is present on the skin, internal influences & external factors like lifestyle and exposure to aggressors.
While skin is our thing and we specialise in topical solutions & acne safe formulae we highly recommend also working with Skin Clinics & Certified Hormone & Nutrition specialists as required.
Topical Solutions for Acne
Key skincare ingredients that can positively benefit the physiological symptoms of Acne by topical absorption are:
- AHAs & BHAs (MSKIN PRO Carbon Cleanser)
- Retinoids – Vitamin A (Sunny Skin Vitamin A Sleep Therapy Coming Soon)
- Mineral/Physical Zinc Oxide based SPF (Acne Safe Sunny Skin Super Sun SPF50)
- Skin Hydrators such as Hyaluronic Acid (Sunny Skin Antioxidant Serum Coming Soon)
But how can these 4 key areas help with acne?
- AHAs & BHAS by gently exfoliating & dislodging redundant skin cells that may have become stuck.
- Vitamin A acts as the conductor of your cellular orchestra helping to improve any processes that may have become sub optimal and therefore contributing to Acne.
- Zinc is a vital skin nutrient that is commonly low in those experiencing Acne.
- Cellular hydration levels are important for intercellular communication, when your cellular processes are communicating optimally with each other this can help prevent & reduce Acne.
Skin Clinic Treatments
- Skin needling
- LED Light Therapy
- Facial Massage Specialists
Some oral supplements that may help with Acne are Zinc Picolinate, Vitamin A, Pre & Probiotics & an Omega 3 6 9 blend. This is not medical advice and before taking anything we recommend you consult with your Medical Doctor or GP to see if these options are suitable for you.
Lifestyle – Stress & Environmental Pollution
For SS there are 2 key lifestyle areas that contribute to Acne and they are Stress from everyday life & external skin stressors such as Environmental pollution.
When it comes to the impact of stress lets think about ways of reducing cortisol levels & stress in your life. Can you take a few minutes a day to journal, drink a herbal tea, limit screen time, read a book,
Lifestyle also includes limiting or mitigating your exposure to environmental stressors. These are things that may cause inflammation & oxidative stress such as cigarette smoke, pollution, blue light & toxin exposure. The solution here is to ensure your skincare regime contains a high level of antioxidants that will help to create a robust defence, while also regenerating the skin.
Diet & Hormones
For Hormones & Diet we recommend seeking professional advice from a certified & reputable Naturopath, Nutritionist, Hormone Specialist or Medical Doctor.